COMBINED EFFECT OF PIOGLITAZONE AND LEVO-CARNITINE ON SERUM LIPIDS AND ADIPONECTIN IN STREPTOZOTOCIN INDUCED TYPE 2 DIABETIC MICE
Background: A strong relationship exists between obesity and weight gain with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) because of the ability of obesity to cause insulin resistance. The objective of this study was to determine the effect of combined supplementation of pioglitazone and levo carnitine on serum lipids and adiponectin in streptozotocin induced T2DM mice. Methods: This randomized controlled trial was carried out on 40 healthy BALB/c mice, divided into four groups. Mice were fed high fat diet for two weeks followed by intraperitoneal injection of streptozotocin. Group I served as diabetic control; group II was administered pioglitazone; group III levo carnitine and group IV was supplemented pioglitazone and levo carnitine. After six days of supplementation, the blood samples were analysed to assess insulin resistance, serum adiponectin levels and lipid profile. Results: The serum adiponectin levels revealed significant increase in combined supplemented group as compared with both diabetic control and levo carnitine groups. An improved serum lipid profile was observed in combined supplemented group as compared to the diabetic control group. There was significant positive correlation between serum adiponectin levels with high density lipoprotein (HDL-C) levels and significant negative correlation between serum adiponectin with serum total cholesterol and low density lipoprotein (LDL-C) levels in diabetic control group. Conclusions: The combined supplementation of pioglitazone and levo carnitine increases serum adiponectin levels and ameliorates dyslipidemia better than individual administration of each supplement in type 2 diabetic mice.
2. Meo SA, Zia I, Bukhari IA, Arain SA. Type 2 diabetes mellitus in Pakistan: current prevalence and future forecast. J Pak Med Assoc 2016;66:1637â€“42.
3. GutiÃ©rrez-Rodelo C, Roura-Guiberna A, Olivares-Reyes JA. Molecular mechanisms of insulin resistance: An update. Gac Med Mex 2017;153:214â€“28.
4. Waugh J, Keating GM, Plosker GL, Easthope S, Robinson DM. Pioglitazone a review of its use in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Drugs 2006;66:85â€“109.
5. Jiang Z, Zhou J, Zhou D, Zhu Z, Sun L, Nanji AA. The adiponectin-SIRT1-AMPK pathway in alcoholic fatty liver disease in the rat. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2015;39:424â€“33.
6. Schofield JD, Liu Y, Rao-Balakrishna P, Malik RA, Soran H. Diabetes dyslipidemia. Diabetes Ther 2016;7:203â€“19.
7. Schaalan MF. Effects of pioglitazone and/or simvastatin on circulating TNFÎ± and adiponectin levels in insulin resistance. J. Immunotoxicol 2012;9:201â€“9.
8. Aghamohammadzadeh N, Niafar M, Dali Abdolahinia E, Najafipour F, Gharebaghi SM, Adabi K, et al. The effect of pioglitazone on weight, lipid profile and liver enzymes in type 2 diabetic patients. Ther Adv Endocrinol Metab 2015;6(2):56â€“60.
9. Longo N, Frigeni M, Pasquali M. Carnitine transport and fatty acid oxidation. Biochim Biophys Acta 2016;1863:2422â€“35.
10. Xia Y, Li Q, Zhong W, Dong J, Wang Z, Wang C. L-carnitine ameliorated fatty liver in high calorie diet/STZ-induced type 2 diabetic mice by improving mitochondrial function. Diabetol Metab Syndr 2011;3:31.
11. Gilbert ER, Fu Z, Liu D. Development of a non genetic mouse model of type 2 diabetes. Exp Diabetes Res 2011;2011:416254.
12. Chin CY, Monack DM, Nathan S. Delayed activation of host innate immune pathways in streptozotocin-induced diabetic hosts leads to more severe disease during infection with Burkholderia pseudomallei. Immunology 2012;135:312â€“32.
13. Oribe J, Kakuma T, Haranaka M, Okamoto K, Seike M, Yoshimatsu H. Intreperitonial administration attenuates thiazolidinedione-induced hepatic steatosis in KKAy mice with increased hepatic peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR)Î³ mRNA expression. Obes Res Clin Prac 2012;6:e249â€“61.
14. Al-Hashem F, Ibrahim I, Bastawy N, Rateb M, Haidara M, Dallak M, et al. Effect of insulin on adiponectin and adiponectin receptor-1 expression in rats with streptozotocin induced type 2 diabetes. J Health Sci 2011;57:334â€“40.
15. Kubota N, Terauchi Y, Kubota T, Kumagai H, Itoh S, Yano W, et al. Pioglitazone Ameliorates Insulin Resistance and Diabetes by Both Adiponectin-dependent and -independent Pathways. J Biol Chem 2006;281:8748â€“55.
16. Alshammari NM. The effects of L-carnitine and physical activity on adipocytokines and lipid profile on obese women. World J Sport Sci 2011;4:21â€“4.
17. Srinivasan K, Viswanad B, Asrat L, Kaul CL, Ramarao P. Combination of high-fat diet-fed and low-dose streptozotocin-treated rat: A model for type 2 diabetes and pharmacological screening. Pharmacol Res 2005;52:313â€“20.
18. Chang CY, Chen MJ, Yang WS, Yeh CY, Ho HN, Chen SU, et al. Hypoadiponectinemia: A useful marker of dyslipidemia in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol 2012;51:583â€“90.
19. Durrani S, Shah J, Khan MA, Jan MR. Hypoadiponectinemia and dyslipidemia in relation to glycemic status in type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease. Khyber Med Univ J 2014;6:157â€“62.
20. Betteridge DJ. Effects of pioglitazone on lipid and lipoprotein metabolism. Diabetes Obese Metab 2007;9:640â€“7.
21. Kadowaki T, Yamauchi T, Kubota N, Hara K, Ueki K, Tobe K. Adiponectin and adiponectin receptors in insulin resistance, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome. J Clin Invest 2006;116:1784â€“92.
22. Sam S, Haffner S, Davidson MH, Dâ€™Agostino R, Perez A, Mazzone T. Pioglitazone-mediated changes in lipoprotein particle composition are predicted by changes in adiponectin level in Type 2 Diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2012;97:110â€“4.
23. Mishra S and Singh RB. Effect of mushroom on lipid profile, lipid peroxidation and liver functions of aging swiss albino rats. Nutraceuticals J 2010;3:248â€“53.
Copyright (c) 2018 Pakistan Journal of Physiology
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Pakistan Journal of Physiology, Pak J Physiol, PJP is free for research and academic purposes. It can be downloaded and stored, printed, cited and quoted with full reference of, and acknowledgement to the PJP.