SERUM ANGIOPOIETIN-1 AS A BIOMARKER OF MISSED ABORTION
Background: Waiting in cue for vaginal ultrasound is a stressful situation faced by patients with missed abortion. In Pakistan, it is not a usual practice to go for screening of Angiopoietin-1 for confirmation of missed abortion. This study was conducted to assess the serum Angiopoietin-1 levels in patients with missed abortion. Methods: A total of 60 women aged 20â€“40 years were investigated after written informed consent on the basis of convenience sampling. Out of 60, 30 women having normal viable intrauterine pregnancy with the gestational age of 6â€“8 weeks were enrolled as control group, and the study group included other 30 women who presented to the hospital with missed abortion at same gestational age. Results: The serum Angiopoietin-1 levels were decreased significantly in women with missed abortion compared to women having normal viable intrauterine pregnancy (780.50Â±134.30 vs 1102.50Â±112.40, p=0.001). Conclusion: The level of serum Angiopoietin-1 in missed abortion decreases and it can be used as an early and effective biomarker for diagnosis of missed abortion.
Pak J Physiol 2018:14(2):15â€“7
2. Jibril UN, Kayode OS, Umar A, Umar AG, Abubakar IA, Ayoade IM, et al. Spontaneous abortion among women admitted into gynaecology wards of three selected hospitals in Maiduguri, Nigeria. Int J Nurs Midwifery 2014;6(2):24â€“31.
3. Ashaar N, Husseiny A. Correlation between missed abortion and insertional translocation involving chromosomes 1 and 7. Irian J Reprod Med 2012;10(1):15â€“22.
4. Phillip T, Phillip K, Reiner A Beer F, Kalousek DK. Embryoscopic and cytogenetic analysis of 233 missed abortions: factors involved in the pathogenesis of developmental defects of early failed pregnancies. Hum Reprod 2003;18:1724â€“32.
5. Chan YY, Jayaprakasan K, Tan A, Thornton JG, Coomarasamy A, Raine-Fenning NJ. Reproductive outcomes in women with congenital uterine anomalies: a systematic review. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2011;38:371â€“82.
6. Nagrato C, Mattar R, Gomes MB. Adverse pregnancy outcomes in women with diabetese. Diabetol Metab Syndr 2012;4(1):41.
7. Jurkovic D, Overton C, Bender-Atik R. Diagnosis and management of first trimester miscarriage. BMJ 2013;346:f3676.
8. Allison J, Sherwood R, Schust DJ. Management of first trimester pregnancy loss can be safely moved into the office. Rev Obstet Gynecol 2011;4(1):5â€“14.
9. Gebreselassie H, Gallo MF, Monyo A, Johnson BR. The magnitude of abortion complications in Kenya. BJOG 2005;112:1229â€“35.
10. Grimes DA, Benson J, Singh S, Romero M, Ganatra B, Okonofua FE, et al. Unsafe abortion: the preventable pandemic. Lancet 2006;368(9550):1908â€“19.
11. Jabeen A, Dawood N, Riaz S, Tanveer S. Methods and complications of septic induced abortion in patients managed at tertiary care hospital. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2013;25(1-2):12â€“5.
12. Elson J, Tailor A, Salim R, Hillaby K, Dew T, Jurkovic D. Expectant management of miscarriage â€”prediction of outcome using ultrasound and novel biochemical markers. Hum Reprod 2005;20:2330â€“3.
13. Korevaar TI, Steegers EA, de Rijke YB, Schalekamp-Timmermans S, Visser WE, Hofman A, et al. Reference ranges and determinants of total hCG levels during pregnancy:the Generation R Study. Eur J Epidemiol 2015;30:1057â€“66.
14. Baoxia C. Angiopoietin-1, Angiopoietin-2 and myocardial ischemia reperfusion injury. J Hypertens 2012;1:e107.
15. Geva E, Glinzinger DG, Zaloudek CJ, Moore DH, Byrne A, Jaffe RB. Human placental vascular development: vasculogenic and angiogenic (branching and nonbranching) transformation is regulated by vascular endothelial growth factor A, angiopoietin-1 and angiopoietin-2. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2002;87:4213â€“24.
16. Saharinen P, Alitalo K. The yin, the yang and the angiopoietin-1. J Clin Invest 2011;121:2157â€“9.
17. Lee SW, Kim WJ, Jun H, Choi YK, Kim KW. Angiopoietin-1 reduces vascular endothelial growth factor induced brain endothelial permeability via upregulation of ZO-2. Int J Mol Med 2009;23:279â€“84.
18. Schult OW, Feinendegen LE, Zaum S, Shreeve WW, Pierson RN. Application of BMI or BSI: Differences and revisions according to age and height. J Obes 2010;(2010):647163.
19. Daponate A, Deligeoroglou E, Pournaras S, Tsezou A, Garas A, Anastasiadou F, et al. Angiopoietin-1 and angiopoietin-2 as serum biomarker for ectopic pregnancy and missed abortion. Clin Chim Acta 2013;415:145â€“51.
20. Schneuer FJ, Roberts CL, Ashton AW, Guilbert C, Tasevski V, Morris JM, et al. Angiopoietin-1 and 2 serum concentrations in first trimester of pregnancy Am J Obstes Gynecol 2014;210(4):345.e1â€“e9.
21. Kim I, Kim HG, Moon SO, Chae SW, So JN, Koh KN, et al. Angiopoietin-1 inducesendothelial cells sprouting through the activation of focal adhesion kinaseand plasmin secretion. Circ Res 2000;86:952â€“9.
22. Sugino N, Suzuki T, Sakata A, Miwa I, Asada H, Taketani T, et al. Angiogenesis in the human corpus luteum: changes in expression of angiopoietins in the corpus luteum throughout the menstrual cycle and in early pregnancy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005;90:6141â€“8.
Â© Copyrights reserved. Pakistan Journal of Physiology, Pak J Physiol, PJP is free for research and academic purposes only. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any shape, published, or stored in a retrieval media without permission of the Editors.