EFFECT OF SUB-CLINICAL HYPOTHYROIDISM ON CHOLESTEROL AND TRIGLYCERIDES
Background: Sub-clinical Hypothyroidism (SCH) is associated with dyslipidemias which may increase the cardiovascular risk. The objective of this study was to compare the serum levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in subclinical hypothyroidism and normal euthyroid subjects. Methods: This cross-sectional comparative study had control group of 50 euthyroid subjects selected from Mayo Hospital, Lahore who were advised to get thyroid profile checked. Fifty sub-clinical hypothyroid patients were included on the basis of their thyroid profile reports. Fasting blood samples were taken from both the groups for analysis of serum levels of T4, total cholesterol and Triglycerides. Studentâ€™s t-test was used to compare the mean values, and pâ‰¤0.05 was considered statistically significant. Results: Mean Triglyceride level in SCH was 168.28 mg/dl, and in euthyroid controls it was 133.62 mg/dL (p<0.001). There were no differences of total cholesterol in both groups with value of 190 mg/dL in SCH group and 189.12 in control group (p=0.912). Triglycerides level was raised in SCH and there was no pronounced effect on total cholesterol. Conclusion: The effects of SCH are more pronounced on triglycerides and less on total cholesterol.
2. Ayala AR, Danese MD, Ladenson PW. When to treat mild hypothyroidism. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 2000;29:399â€“415.
3. Cooper DS. Subclinical hypothyroidism. N Engl J Med 2001;345(4):260â€“5.
4. Hueston WJ, Pearson WS. Subclinical hypothyroidism and the risk of hypercholesterolemia. Ann Fam Med 2004;2(4):351â€“5
5. Tunbridge WM, Evered DC, Hall R, Appleton D, Brewis M, Clark F, et al. The spectrum of thyroid disease in a community: the Whickham survey. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1977;7:481â€“93.
6. Luboshitzky R, Aviv A, Herer P, Lavie L. Risk factors for cardiovascular disease in women with subclinical hypothyroidism. Thyroid 2002;12:421â€“5.
7. Bhandopadhyay SK, Basu AK, Pal SK, Roy P, Chakrabarti S, Pathak HS, et al. Study of dyslipidemia in subclinical hypothyroidism. J Indian Med Assoc 2006;104:622â€“6.
8. Karthick N, Dillara K, Poornima KN, Sbhasini AS. Dyslipidaemic changes in women with subclinical hypothyroidism. J Clin Diagn Res 2013;7:2122â€“5.
9. Lam KS, Chan MK, Yeung RT. Highdensity lipoprotein cholesterol, hepatic lipase and lipoprotein lipase activities in thyroid dysfunction â€•effects of treatment. Q J Med 1986;59(229):513â€“21.
10. Toruner F, Altinova AE, Karakoc A, Yetkin I, Ayvaz G, Cakir N, et al. Risk factors for cardiovascular disease in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism. Adv Ther 2008;25(5):430â€“7.
11. Velkoska Nakova V, Krstevska B, Bosevski M, Dimitrovski Ch, Serafimoski V. Dyslipidemia and hypertension in patients with hypothyroidism. Biol Med Sci 2009;30(2):93â€“102.
12. Efstathiadou Z, Bitsis S, Milionis HJ, Kukuvitis A, Bairaktari ET, Elisaf MS, et al. Lipid profile in subclinical hypothyroidism: is L-thyroxine substitution beneficial? Eur J Endocrinol 2001;145:705â€“10.
13. Kong WM, Sheikh MH, Lumb PJ, Naoumova RP, Freedman DB, Crook M, et al. A 6 months randomized controlled trial of thyroxine treatment in mild subclinical hypothyroidism. Am J Med 2002;112:348â€“54.
14. Rajan KD, Cikim AS, Oflaz H, Ozbey N. Lipid profile changes in subclinical and overt hypothyroidism. APICON 2003. [Poster session abstract].
15. Lai Y, Wang J, Jiang F, Wang B, Chen Y, Li M, et al. The relationship between serum thyrotropin and components of metabolic syndrome. Endocr J 2011;58:23â€“30.
16. Canaris GJ, Manowitz NR, Mayor G, Ridgeway EC. The Colorado thyroid disease prevalence study. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:526â€“34.
17. Madani IM, Ammar MEA, Niamat OM, Mai ES, Nabiela EBM. Effects of subclinical hypothyroidism on important serum lipids values of Sudanese women. J Chin Clin Med 2010;5(7):420â€“4.
18. Ladenson PW, Singer PA, Ain KB, Bagchi N, Bigos ST, Levy EG, et al. American Thyroid Association guidelines for detection of thyroid dysfunction. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:1573â€“5.
19. Third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). Final Report. Circulation 2002;106:3143â€“421.
Copyright (c) 2018 Pakistan Journal of Physiology
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Pakistan Journal of Physiology, Pak J Physiol, PJP is free for research and academic purposes. It can be downloaded and stored, printed, cited and quoted with full reference of, and acknowledgement to the PJP.