COMPARISON OF KI-67/MIB-1 LABELLING INDEX AND HISTOPATHOLOGICAL GRADING OF ASTROCYTOMA
Background: Astrocytomas are common malignant brain tumours. Ki-67/MIB-1 index serves as an important supplementary tool in the diagnosis and prognosis of human astrocytoma. Methods: Forty (40) cases of various histopathological (WHO) grades of astrocytoma (Pilocytic, diffuse, Anaplastic and Glioblastoma multiforme) were included in this study. Ki-67/MIB-1 labelling index of these tumours was estimated by immunohistochemistry, performed on paraffin sections. Histopathological grading and Ki-67/MIB-1 labelling index were compared. The results were analyzed by one way ANOVA. Results: Out of 40 cases two were diagnosed as pilocytic astrocytoma (WHO grade-1) with a mean Ki-67/MIB-1 labelling index of 0.7Â±1.4 (range 0.6â€“0.8%). Thirteen cases were of diffuse astrocytoma (WHO grade II), with a mean Ki-67/MIB-1 labelling index of 3.07Â±3.7 (range 1â€“15%). Nine cases were diagnosed as Anaplastic astrocytoma (WHO grade III) with a mean Ki-67/MIB-1 labelling Index of 11.55Â±7.8 (range 2â€“35%). Sixteen cases were diagnosed as Glioblastoma multiforme with a mean Ki-67/MIB-1 labelling Index of 14.1Â±8.9 (range (5â€“36%). ANOVA showed a significant differences between four compared groups (p=0.003). Conclusion: Immunohistochemical analysis of Ki-67/MIB-1 labelling index increases significantly with increasing grade of malignancy. The Ki-67/MIB-1 labelling index can be used as an adjuvant to histopathological grading for proper diagnosis and grading of astrocytoma especially in borderline cases and in small biopsies.
Keywords: astrocytoma, immunohistochemical grading, histopathological grading, Ki-67
Pak J Physiol 2017;13(2):19â€“21
2. Frosch PM, Anthony CD, Girolami UD. The central nervous system. In: Kumar V, Abbas AK, Fausto N, Aster JC, (Eds). Robbins and Cotran. Pathologic Basis of Diseases. 8th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2010.p. 1330.
3. Mohan H, (Ed). Textbook of Pathology. 6th ed. New Delhi: JAPEE; 2010.p. 866.
4. Jemal A, Seigel R, Ward E, Hao Y, Xu J, Thun MJ. Cancer statistics 2009. CA: Cancer J Clinicians 2009;59(4):225â€“49.
5. Conway PD, Oechler HW, Kun LE, Murray KJ. Importance of histologic condition and treatment of pediatric cerebellar astrocytoma. Cancer 1991;67:2772â€“5.
6. Shah SH, Soomro IN, Hussainy AS, Hassan SH. Clinico-morphological pattern of intracranial tumors in children. J Pak Med Assoc 1999;49(3):63â€“5.
7. Heldermon C. Intra cranial tumors. In: Cashen AF, Wildes TM, (Eds). Hematology and oncology subspecialty consult. 2nd ed. New Delhi: Wolters Kluwer; 2008. p. 229â€“300.
8. Johannessen AL, Torp SH. The clinical value of Ki-67/MIB-1 labeling index in human astrocytoma. Pathol Oncol Res 2006;12:143â€“7.
9. Trop SH. Diagnostic and prognostic role of Ki-67 immunostaining in human astrocytomas using four different antibodies. Clin Neuropathol 2002;21(6):252â€“7.
10. Pierce E, Doshi R, Deane R. PCNA and Ki-67 labelling indices in pre-irradiated and post-irradiated astrocytomas: a comparative immunohistochemical analysis for evaluation of proliferative activity. Mol Pathol 1998;51(2):90â€“5.
11. Torabinezhad S, Rakhshandeh RS. The proliferative potential of the astrocytoma, the relation between Ki-67 and histopathologic criterias. Iranian Red Crescent Med J (IRCMJ) 2005;8(1):76â€“82.
12. Nordgrad S, Franzen G, Boysen M, Halvorsen TB. Ki-67 as a prognostic marker in adenoid cystic carcinoma assessed with the monoclonal antibody MIB-1 in paraffin section. Laryngoscope 1997;107(4):531â€“6.
13. Hashino T, Ahn D, Prados MD, Lamborn K, Wilson CB. Prognostic significance of the proliferative potential of intracranial gliomas measured by bromodeoxyuridine labeling. Int J Cancer 1993;53:550â€“5.
14. Hashmi IU, Bukhari MH, Tayyab M, Qureshi IZ, Chaudrhy NA, Riaz S. Evaluation of nuclear organizer region in normal brain tissues and astrocytic gliomas. Biomedica 2006;22(1):41â€“7.
15. Wakimoto H, Aoyagi M, Nakayama T, Nagashima G, Yamamoto S, Tamaki M, et al. Prognostic significance of Ki-67 labeling indices obtained by MIB-1 monoclonal antibody, patients with supratentorial astrocytoma. Cancer 1996;77(2):373â€“80.
16. Khalid H, Shibata S, Kishikawa M, Yasunaga A, Iseki M, Hiura T. Immunohistochemical analysis of progesterone receptor and Ki-67 labeling index in astrocytic tumors. Cancer 1997;80:2133â€“40.
17. Hsu DW, Louis DN, Efird JT, Hedley-Whyte ET. Use of MIB-1/KI-67 immuno reactivity in differentiating grade II and grade III gliomas. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 1997;56:857â€“65.
18. Johannessen AL, Torp SH. The clinical value of Ki-67/MIB-1 labeling index in human astrocytoma. Pathol Oncol Res 2006;12(3):143â€“7.
Pakistan Journal of Physiology, Pak J Physiol, PJP is free for research and academic purposes. It can be downloaded and stored, printed, cited and quoted with full reference of, and acknowledgement to the PJP.