LIVER FUNCTION TESTS IN SECOND AND THIRD TRIMESTER PRIMIGRAVIDA IN NORMAL PREGNANCY AND PREECLAMPSIA
Background: Preeclampsia is a common obstetrical problem affecting 5â€“10% of pregnant females. The objective of this study was to determine and compare liver function tests in primigravidas in second and third trimesters of normal pregnancy and preeclampsia. Methods: A cross-sectional comparative study was conducted that included 100 subjects aged 15â€“40 years with normal pregnancy, and preeclamptic primigravidas of second and third trimester. Their liver function tests were carried out and compared among the study groups. Results: The mean age of the subjects was 25.92Â±5.56 years, mean systolic BP was 136.3Â±24.623 mmHg, mean diastolic blood pressure was 87.8Â±15.736 mmHg. There were statistically significant differences in AST, ALT, ALP, and serum albumin among cases and controls of both 2nd and 3rd trimester (p<0.05). However, serum total bilirubin among preeclamptics of 2nd and 3rd trimesters, and also between controls and preeclamptics of 3rd trimester was significantly increased (p<0.05). Serum AST and ALT were significantly decreased among controls of 3rd trimesters compared to 2nd trimester while ALP was significantly increased in 3rd trimester controls compared to 2nd trimester controls. Serum albumin was significantly decreased in both 2nd and 3rd trimester preeclamptics compared to controls. Conclusion: Serum AST, ALP, and bilirubin was significantly increased in 3rd trimester preeclamptics compared to 2nd trimester preeclamptics.
Keywords: Preeclampsia, liver function tests, primarygravidas
Pak J Physiol 2017;13(2):25â€“8
2. Lim KH, Steinberg G. Preeclampsia. eMedicine 2008. Available from: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1476919-overview.
3. Moemen ME. Pre-eclamptic pregnancy. Egypt J Anaesth 2007;23:1â€“6.
4. Tran HA. Biochemical test in pregnancy. Aust Prescr 2005;28(4):136â€“9.
5. Jamjute P, Ahmad A, GhoshT, Banfield P. Liver function test and pregnancy. J Matern Fetal Neonat Med 2009;22:274â€“83.
6. Mauro P, Renze B, Wouter W. Enzymes. In: Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics. (4th ed), St. Louis, Mo: Elsevier; 2006.p. 604â€“16.
7. Diana NC. Therapeutic drug monitoring and laboratory reference ranges. In: Tierney LM, (Ed). Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment. (46th ed). New York: McGraw Hill; 2007.p. 1767â€“75.
8. Bacq Y, Zarka O, BrÃ©chot JF, Mariotte N, Vol S, Tichet J, et al. Liver function tests in normal pregnancy: a prospective study of 103 pregnant women and 103 matched controls. Hepatology 1996;23:1030â€“4.
9. Wong HY, Tan JYL, Lim CC. Abnormal liver function test in symptomatic pregnant patient: The local experience in Singapore. Ann Acad Med Singapoor 2004;33:204â€“8.
10. Cheung BM, Ong KL, Wong LY. Elevated serum alkaline phosphatase and peripheral arterial disease in the United States National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Int J Cardiol 2009;135:156â€“61.
11. Thapa BR, Anuj W. Liver function tests and their interpretation. Indian J Pediatr 2007;74:663â€“71.
12. Loganathan G, George R, Eapen CE, Mathai M, Jasper P, Seshadri L, et al. Liver function tests in normal pregnancy: a study from southern India. Indian J Gastroenterol 2005;24:268â€“9.
13. Makuvana D, Mahomed K, Shukusho FD, Mojoko F. Liver and kidney function test in normal and preeclamptic gestation â€“a comparison with non-gestational reference values. Cent Afr J Med 2002;48(5â€“6):55â€“9.
14. Thangaratinam S, Ismail K, Sharp S, Coomarasamy AO, Mahony F, Khan KS, et al. Prioritisation of tests for the prediction of preeclampsia complications: a Delphi survey. Hypertens Pregnancy 2007;26:131â€“8.
15. Munazza B, Raza N, Naureen A, Khan SA, Fatima F, Ayub M, et al. Liver function tests in preeclampsia. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2011;23(4):3â€“5.
16. Salman MI. Changes in liver function tests during pregnancy. J Al-Anbar Univ Pure Sci 2009;3(1):209â€“12.
17. Das S, Char D, Sarkar S, Saha TK, Biswas S, Rudra B. Evaluation of liver function test in normal pregnancy and preeclampsia: A case control. IOSR J Dent Med Sci 2013;12(1):30â€“2.
18. Gohel MG, Joshi AG, Anand JS, Makadia JS, Kamariya CP. Evaluation of changes in liver function test in first, second and third trimester of normal pregnancy. Int J Reprod Contracep Obstet Gynecol 2013;2(4):616â€“20.
19. Ibraheem NJ, Obiade DS. Serum calcium level and some physiological markers during preeclampsia and normal pregnancy in Babylon province women. Mag Al-Kufa Univ Biol 2013;5(2):203â€“12.
20. Malvino E, Munoz M, Ceccotti C, Janello G, Mcloughlin D, Pawlak A, et al. Maternal morbidity and perinatal mortality in HELLP syndrome. Multicentric studies in intensive care units in Buenos Aires area. Medicina (B Aires) 2005;65(1):17â€“23.
Â© Copyrights reserved. Pakistan Journal of Physiology, Pak J Physiol, PJP is free for research and academic purposes only. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any shape, published, or stored in a retrieval media without permission of the Editors.