EFFECT OF AEROBICS TRAINING ON PULMONARY FUNCTIONS IN YOUNG MALE ADULTS OF PUNJAB
Aims & Objectives: This study was to evaluate the effect of aerobic exercise training on pulmonary function tests in healthy young male population of Amritsar. Methods: The present study was undertaken to study the effects of aerobics on the lung functions. Lung functions or pulmonary function tests of aerobics trainees were compared with those of controls. We evaluated pulmonary function tests in 50 healthy male subjects from a fitness club who participated in a 3 months of aerobics plan. Pulmonary function tests were recorded before the commencement and at the end of aerobic training duration and compared to the values so obtained with 50 healthy adult males who were chosen as controls. The controls were the physiotherapy students from Khalsa College Amritsar. Both were in the age group of 18â€“20 years. The pulmonary function tests were carried out with a computerized spirometer â€˜Med-Spirorâ€™. The various data was collected, compiled, statistically analysed and valid conclusions were drawn. Results: The current study has shown that, there is significant positive relationship between aerobics training and pulmonary function in healthy young men. Higher lung volumes and flow rates were achieved in aerobic trainees after their training period, as compared to their own values obtained before their training period and to those of controls. Conclusion: Regular exercise enhances physical capabilities and physiological responses of the human body and the lungs are no exception. The cause of improved of various respiratory functions and flow rates after aerobic plan duration is increased strength and enduring power of the respiratory muscles.
Pak J Physiol 2013;9(2):23â€“5
2. Moazami M, Farahati S. The Effects of Aerobic Training on Pulmonary Function in Postmenopausal Women. Int J Sport Std 2013;3(2):169â€“74.
3. Mahler D. Ventilatory muscle training. In: Hodgkin J, Celli B, Connors G, (Eds). Pulmonary rehabilitation. Lippincott: Williams & Wilkins; 2000.pp. 165â€“72.
4. American College of Sports Medicine. Guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. (3rd ed). Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger; 1988. pp: 168â€“9.
5. Kruk J. Physical activity in the prevention of the most frequent chronic diseases: An analysis of the recent evidence. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2007;8:325â€“38.
6. Chaitra, Narhare, Puranik, Maitri. Moderate intensity aerobics training improves pulmonary function in young Indian men. Biomed Res 2012;23(2):231â€“3.
7. Bernard S, Whittom F, Leblanc P, Jobin J, Belleau R, BÃ©rubÃ© C, et al. Aerobic and strength training in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999;159(3):896â€“901.
8. Twisk JW, Staal BJ, Brinkman MN, Kemper HC, van Mechelen W. Tracking of lung function parameters and the longitudinal relationship with lifestyle. Eur Respir J 1998;12:627â€“34.
9. Belman MJ. Exercise in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Thorax 1993;48:936â€“46.
10. Paranjape SM, Barnes LA, Carson KA, von Berg K, Loosen H, Mogayzel PJ. Exercise improves lung function and habitual activity in children with cystic fibrosis. J Cyst Fibros 2012;11(1):18â€“23.
11. Burchfiel CM, Enright PL, Sharp DS, Chyou PH, Rodriguez BL, Curb JD. Factors associated with variations in pulmonary functions among elderly Japanese-American men. Chest 1997;112: 87â€“97.
12. Cheng YJ, Macera CA, Addy CL, Sy FS, Wieland D, Blair SN. Effects of physical activity on exercise tests and respiratory function. Br. J. Sports Med 2003;37:521â€“8.
13. Farid R, Azad FJ, Atri AE, Rahimi MB, Khaledan A, Talaei-Khoei M, et al. Effect of aerobic exercise training on pulmonary function and tolerance of activity in asthmatic patients. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2005;4(3):133â€“8.
14. Nourry C, Deruelle F, Guinhouya C, Baquet G, Fabre C, Bart F, et al. High intensity running training improves pulmonary function and alters exercise breathing pattern in children. Eur J Appl Physiol 2005;94(4):415â€“23.
15. Enright SJ, Unnithan VB, Heward C, Winthall L, Davies DH. Effect of high intensity inspiratory muscle training on lung volumes, diaphragm thickness and exercise capacity in subjects who are healthy. Phys Ther 2006;86(3):345â€“54.
16. Thaman RG, Arora APK, Bachhel R. Effect of physical training on pulmonary function tests in Border Security Force Trainees of India. J Life Sci 2010;2(1):11â€“5.
17. Shashikala L, Sarath R. Effects of exercise on pulmonary function test. Indian J Fundamen Appl Life Sci 2011;1(3):230â€“1.
18. Birkel DA, Edgren L. Hatha Yog improved vital capacity of college students. Altern Ther Health Med 2000;6:55â€“63.
19. Clark CJ. The role of physical training in asthma. Chest 1992;101(5):293â€“8.
20. Kaufman C, Kelly AS, Kaiser DR, Steinberger J, Dengel DR. Aerobic exercise training improves ventilator efficiency in overweight children. Pediatr Exerc Sci 2007;19:82â€“92.
Pakistan Journal of Physiology, Pak J Physiol, PJP is FREE for research and academic purposes. It can be downloaded and stored, printed, cited and quoted with full reference of, and acknowledgement to the PJP.